Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Oh Fudge!

In my quest to make some wonderful melt-in-your-mouth chocolate fudge, I have been unsuccessful. I guess that is why most of us have resorted to the marshmallow fluff fudge that is pretty easy. My first batch came out very grainy. Like why did I even bother?
The recipes is fairly simple :
Old-time Fudge from Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book
2 cups white sugar
3/4 cup milk
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate
1tsp. light corn syrup
2 T butter, 1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional- but not really:D)
I cooked it to soft ball or 234 F on my candy thermometer. 1st batch I did not follow instructions to NOT STIR. OK, so I followed to a "T" on batch #2 but it came out a little more gooey than it should have and was taking FOREVER to chill to the 110F temp...so technically, I didn't follow it to a "T" because after more than an hour, it was still about 120-something..but it felt like it....Oh well....It tastes really good and if my taste testers feel it is worthy...it may be giftable...that is, if my taste testers don't eat it all ;-D
Does anyone have any pointers for me? Or a no-fail recipe?

No comments: