Friday, November 21, 2008

Venison Meatloaf

Thursday night's dinner was Venison meatloaf.
Always a big hit around here. Thank God Daddy killed his first deer of the season with his crossbow. Having grown up with game, incorporating it into the meals is a no-brainer for me. I enjoy it, and I am thankful to not have to buy all of the meat at the grocery. By no means is it free though! There are lots of costs that go into hunting, but those get included into the budget.
I don't really have a recipe for meatloaf, I pretty much just throw it all together.
In this particular meatloaf there was: 3# ground venison, 3 eggs, 1 chopped onion, 2 minced garlic cloves, 1/4 cup pureed green pepper, 1/2 cup pureed cooked spinach, 1/4 cup bread crumbs, 1/3 cup oats, Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt and pepper.
I cooked it for about 1 1/2 hours at 350 degrees F.

The extra veggies were an experiment to see if anyone would complain about green stuff in the meatloaf, plus sneaking in some extra veggies........ It was a success. Not one complaint. I couldn't really even taste the extra veggies and my kiddos said they couldn't either :-) Here is a picture:


Next post will be the pound cake!

No comments: