Saturday, December 6, 2008

Peanut brittle and peanut butter fudge

Today I decided to get started on the holiday "baking" although there was no baking involved here. I made my favorite microwave peanut brittle.

It is so easy. 1 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup karo syrup, 1 cup raw peanuts, and a dash of salt. Combine these in a pyrex microwave safe bowl and microwave on HI for 4 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes. Add 1 tsp. vanilla. Cook in 2 minute increments until peanuts are lightly browned. Then working very quickly, add 1 tsp. baking soda and stir it in then dump mixture onto greased cookie sheet. This is very hot!! Place on baking rack to cool. It is very brittle and will break easily once cooled completely.
Place in an air-tight container especially if it is humid.



Next I made some peanut butter fudge.
I modified a recipe I found online.It required some stove top cooking and I used a candy thermometer to make sure I hit the soft ball stage. It seems to take forever then all of a sudden, it gets there. If you have never made candy before, it may seem pretty intimidating but I promise it is not as hard as it sounds!

The recipe:

1- 12oz can evaporated milk
2 cups brown sugar, packed
1 to 1 1/2 cups peanut butter
4 T butter
1 tsp vanilla

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine milk and brown sugar. Heat to 235-240 on candy thermometer. Remove from heat and stir in butter, peanut butter, and vanilla. Quickly spread into 11x7 lined dish to cool. Cut when cooled completely and store in air-tight container.

No comments: